- 200 g rolled oats, old-fashioned (2 cups)
- 120 g rolled barley or wheat flakes (1 cup)
- 115 g pecans, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- 70 g raw wheat germ (1 cup)
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- 75 g canola oil (1/3 cup)
- 170 g honey (1/3 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 300° F. Line a large shallow roasting pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, barley, pecans, wheat germ, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well.
- In a large glass measuring cup, combine the oil and honey. Cover and heat in the microwave for about 30 seconds, or combine in a small saucepan and heat over medium-low heat for a few minutes, until the mixture is quite liquid and warm to the touch. Stir vigorously to combine. Stir into the oat mixture and mix well. Spread out in the pan.
- Roast for 30–45 minutes, until the granola is golden, stirring and turning over the granola every 10–15 minutes for even cooking (we use a flat, metal spatula). Do not let the granola get too dark. Transfer to a large bowl to cool completely.
The Roasted Vegetable, p. 214
Author Andrea Chesman
Yield 6 cups
Added October 10, 2014
Store in an airtight container. The granola is best if eaten within about two weeks, but it will keep for about 1 month at room temperature, or for about 6 months in the refrigerator.